Saturday, August 4, 2012

La Vida Chilena

Well, tomorrow I will have officially been living with my familia chilena for two weeks. I cannot believe how fast things are already going by! I also completed week one of classes here... they went pretty well! I started with eight, and have narrowed it down to four that I really like! Three in spanish, and one in english, and three of the classes are transferring back for actual credit at DU. The fourth is just an extracurricular. But either way, thank goodness!  The class I'm taking in english is a film class about Latin America, and the professor is absolutely psychotic, but at the same time very brilliant! He was so captivating and fun to listen to, it's a class I'm really excited about!  Because there is no central heating at the school either, I am drinking a lot more tea and coffee than I do at home. It's not because I'm thirsty or need the caffeine, usually it's solely because if I don't have something warm to hold and drink, it is possible that I would freeze to death! One thing about their coffee here though - it's terrible. Everything is instant coffee, either powdered or like the machines from the gas stations in the states.  If you put enough sugar/milk in it, it's manageable, but for some reason I really thought the coffee down here would be really good! I guess that's somewhere else in South America, whoops.

Today we had an asado with all of the extranjeros at my school! It was delicious, so much food though.  It was at a very beautiful lake/park area, however, in order to get there, it was about an hour walk from my house. This being said, the walk to and from was probably good for me considering the large quantity of food that I consumed. What can I say, Chileans know how to barbecue (see picture below)!  After the asado, my friend Laura and I walked to a grocery store to buy chocolate and water (2 things which are very rare in our households), and then proceeded to go and meet some other girls at the beach! There we enjoyed the sunset and overall just enjoyed the end to another great day in la vida chilena.  It doesn't get much better than that :)


No comments:

Post a Comment