Saturday, August 18, 2012

Batman, Barbie, and Lobos Marinos

On Thursday after class, a couple of my friends and I decided to finally go see Caballero de la Noche. That's right folks, Batman is in Chile.  Luckily for us, the movie was in English with Spanish subtitles, so we were able to relax our brains and veg out in true American style.  The movie was amazing as I'm sure you all already know, but what wasn't so amazing was realizing, with 30 minutes left in the movie, that I had left my keys to the house/bedroom locked inside said house/bedroom.  And the movie didn't get over until 1:30am.  Which meant every single member of my familia was sleeping.  Not unlike Meg Ryan who was Sleepless in Seattle,  I was getting ready to star in a film of my own: Kylee Swiggart in Homeless in Chile.  Well, it doesn't quite have the same ring, but you get the picture.  Thankfully, my friend Laura doesn't live too far from me, and she offered to share her twin-sized, Barbie blanketed bed with me.  After texting Mamá the situation (I was hoping she wouldn't freak out in the morning), we took the micro back and trekked to Laura's!  I wasn't lying about the Barbie bedspread, see for yourself (Laura's super excited about it too):

After satisfying our post-movie hunger with bread and peanut butter (so delicious), we left a note for Laura's host parents informing them that when they woke up there would be a strange gringa in their house, and then we went to bed.  That morning we went into their living room, and I was greeted with two wonderful things. 1.) Laura's really nice and understanding host parents and 2.) A little dog.  For those of you who don't know, having had 2 wiener dogs in my lifetime, I have a small affinity for small dogs.  They invited me to stay for breakfast, and the dog (whose name is pronounced Bayleen) and I made great friends.  I then went home, had my host sister let me in the house, broke into my own room using bobby pins and my Chilean ID card on the lock, and got ready for a run! Laura, Ellen and I have been running quite a bit recently - we're training for a 10k that we signed up for in September!  Yesterday's run was quite nice, about 4 or 5 miles (we're working our way up), and at our halfway point, we were able to see lobos marinos (sea lions).  Literally translated, lobos marinos means sea wolves. This is something I had a hard time grasping, until I decided that this is just another one of those Chilean things that I will probably never understand, and so I should just accept it and move on.  For those of you who have never seen sea lions in their natural habitat, I highly suggest it. They are hilarious. We decided that they have two positions, and two positions only. Position one is a very proud position, a kind of, "Look at me and my wondrous fat belly, and be jealous," kind of position.  The other is what I've decided to call the borracho (drunk) position, because it looks like the sea lion is so tired/drunk that he could do nothing more than pass out on the spot.  The only thing that lets you know he is alive is the fact that he occasionally lifts his cute little chin up. Anyway, see said poses below.
 




That's all from me and the sea lions today! Over and out til next time.









No comments:

Post a Comment