Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Anticucho and Chilean Fame

Well, the past couple days sure have been a whirlwind! This past weekend consisted of me doing the following: sleep, eat, drink tea, sleep more, facebook, read, sleep, eat, etc. etc. Having a cold when school started this week was not something I wanted to do, so I vowed to rest and get better beforehand! While this certainly happened, the combination of me being not being around people and thinking about home led to the first bout of homesickness that I have encountered while here in Chile. It didn't last long thankfully though, because when I stepped foot outside the dungeon that had become my bedroom, my mamá informed me that we were about to have a giant Chilean style asada!!! Here, an asada is very similar to a barbecue or grill-out. We made "anticucho", which in the States would just be called skewers! Our skewers consisted of red meat, sausage, hot dogs (sounds gross, but was weirdly kinda good), carrots, and onions. My papá then went and grilled them all with this special delicious smelling sauce...he explained to me what it was, and I just smiled and nodded per usual when he speaks to me since I really have trouble understanding a word he says! Whoops! The combination of being with people again and being able to cook with my new family really just wiped away my homesickness. If there's one thing I've learned so far, homesickness/loneliness really will stay away as long as you surround yourself with people. I know that shouldn't be that much of a foreign concept, in fact it's quite basic, but in a foreign country it can be easier said than done! Overall, Sunday was a great family bonding day and I made me feel even more blessed to have the wonderful family that I do have here.

In other news, classes started yesterday!!! I had three classes yesterday, and overall they went well! One of the spanish classes was pretty difficult to follow, but the in the others my professors were really understanding and very helpful whenever students made mistakes. I really liked being in school because I feel like I can finally get a small sort of schedule going, which will keep me busier and more entertained! I met a lot of new "intercambios" (exchange students) yesterday, and am hoping to meet more Chileans soon! OH! Very important side note... I was on Chilean television yesterday. Yup, it's true. Soy famosa. Okay, so here's the lowdown on my road to Chilean fame... My host sister, Kiika, and I were picking up my 5 yr old host sister, Esme, and all of the sudden when we walked into the school, we were asked to go to the principal's office.  We then sat down on a small bench in the office, which was very big... there were about 4/5 mothers to our right, and 4 teachers to our left, and the principal and 2 very fancy looking politician women sat in the front.  There were also 4 very fancy politician men who came a little later. Anyway, apparently they were having a big important discussion about sex education/sexual abuse of young kids in Chile, and the importance of educating students on those topics... They were filming this and taking pictures, and it was quite the scene! I could understand most of what was going on, but thought that it was just some parent meeting, but it ended up being a big political conference of some sorts that was on TV! They filmed my host sister and I A LOT during this meeting, and everyone kept calling us some word that my host sister informed me meant "young mom's", so apparently they thought we were the mothers of some of the kids at the school! Overall, quite the interesting day yesterday.  I will be sure to keep you all updated on my newfound fame for the rest of my time in Chile, don't you worry!

No comments:

Post a Comment