Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cold Showers

After my usual morning run on the beach this morning, I came back to the house, did a quick ab workout, and got in the shower as usual. Now, for those of you who I already complain to about this, I'm sorry you have to hear it again, but for those of you who don't know, my house usually only has hot water between the hours of 6am-11:30am, and again from 6pm-10pm (if I'm lucky). Don't ask me why, because I don't know! What I do know is that I certainly am not waking up here before 8am, because I have no need to, and I usually prefer to workout in the mornings, so morning showers are a necessity to be clean for the rest of the day! Today I finished working out at 11:00am, plenty of time to still grab a hot shower. I let the water warm up, got in, but, unfortunately for me, sometimes the water decides to stop being hot even before 11:30 on certain days! Que chucha!? This being said, I had about 45 seconds of hot water, and then the rest was cold. Yup. It's 50 degrees outside, probably 52 degrees inside my house (no central heating either people!), and I'm taking an ice bath for a shower. Lovely. To demonstrate how I felt as this was happening, I googled a picture for you all. This was my face. I may or may not have screamed a little once or twice.


However, in googling this picture, I also found many links describing the health benefits of taking cold showers! Intrigued by why anyone would ever want to be that miserable on a daily basis, I took a look. Here are some of the benefits that were listed:

  1. Enhance immunity against infections and cancer
  2. Jump-start your mood and motivation
  3. Crank up metabolism to fight type 2 diabetes, obesity, gout, depression, and more
  4. Normalize blood pressure
  5. Decrease chronic pain
  6. Detoxify your body
  7. Fight fatigue
  8. Rejuvenate, heal, and tone the skin
  9. Help with insomnia
  10. Improve lymphatic circulation, thereby increasing immune function
  11. Reduce stress by regulating your autonomic nervous system
  12. Keep your hair healthy

 So, I guess that cold showers really aren't that bad! While I still won't be purposely taking them, at least while it's still Winter here in Chile, if the water does turn cold as it so often does, I'll at least have something to be optimistic about while suffering!  Hope you all enjoyed your nice warm showers this morning, but just remember, if the water does turn on you, look for the bright side!

No comments:

Post a Comment